If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (916) 587-3438

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

SERVPRO of North Sacramento is the Right Choice for Your Fire Damage Cleanup and Restoration

7/7/2020 (Permalink)

Soot damage on a bathroom counter top. SERVPRO of North Sacramento provides fire, soot and water damage restoration service in Sacramento

At SERVPRO North Sacramento, we strive to get your property back to preloss condition or better... "Like it never even happened."  Providing education and information may help you prevent a house fire.

Most Common Causes of House Fires

To help avoid a devastating house fire, you have to know what causes them. In 2019, there were nearly 400,000 residential fires in America causing nearly 4,000 civilian deaths and just over $7 billion dollars in damage.  At SERVPRO of North Sacramento, we understand that household fires are by far the most prevalent type of fire in the United States, and, sadly, one of the leading causes of accidental death. The more we learn about how they can start, the better chances we’ll have in preventing them.  Understanding what you can and can’t do, and the consequences of particular actions and negligence, could prevent a fire in your home.  SERVPRO of North Sacramento wants to make sure that your property is safe against fire and destruction.  There are some causes that will be obvious, and some less so. It’s important to learn about all of them to be able to prevent a fire in your home. 

Electrical Fires

Electrical fires occur for a few different reasons, all of which can end up being devastating. One of the most common causes results from short circuits sparking and igniting nearby building materials. Another common occurrence is from circuits being overloaded with current and overheating. Electrical fires tend to be among the deadliest because they’re undetected until it’s too late. Anytime you move into a new house, you should have an electrician look at the wiring to make sure it’s safe.

Home Cooking

Cooking-related fires make up half of all residential fires. They’re usually caused by overheated grease or an oven/stove top being left on unintentionally. If hot enough, grease can ignite by itself. To avoid kitchen fires, never leave the stove or oven turned on while you’re out of the kitchen. If something ignites, you can usually stop it from progressing by smothering the fire with a metal lid and turning the appliance off.  Any portable appliances should be cleaned and left to cool before being stored. One of the easiest things to do is unplug unused appliances during the day.

Barbecues can also be dangerous.  If left unattended, they could spark and ignite a deck, or tip over during a strong gust and start a fire on a nearby structure.  If you use an outdoor grill, the general consensus is that your grill should be 3-10 feet away from any house walls or objects that are easily flammable or could catch fire from an ignition.


In older homes, baseboards and space heaters are common and are heavily used during the winter. When fabrics like bed sheets or drapes are left too close to the heat, it’s possible that they could catch fire. Any heaters that require fuel are dangerous, as are electric heaters that have the potential of having faulty wiring. It’s always a good idea to keep portable heaters away from anything flammable and make sure they’re off and cooled before you put them away. Never leave any type of old heater on when you’re not at home.

Christmas Trees

Another common cause of fire in the winter months is Christmas trees and decorations. Whether or not you have a real or fake tree doesn’t really matter when you’re covering it in lights and other flammable materials like tinsel and garland. If a tree lights, it’ll be engulfed in flames within a few seconds. When it’s fully lit, then you’re in legitimate trouble of a large-scale house fire. Always make sure that the lights and decorations on the tree are turned off when you leave the house or go to bed. 


Candles are dangerous because people forget to blow them out. You might use them to set a mood or to provide you with light during a power outage, but always make sure that your pets and your kids aren’t going to knock them over. Always remember to blow them out when you go to bed. If left too close to anything flammable, you’ll could be dealing with a fire in no time. 


Chemical fires can ignite without notice. These types of fires occur when you’ve got vapors from gasoline or other household chemicals too close to an open flame. A small number of residential fires are chemically-induced.  If you store flammable liquids in the house, ensure they’re kept in an approved container that is sealed.  Also, keep them a fair distance from anything that heats up or might create a spark like a propane water heater.  Propane is highly flammable and any combustible materials nearby can burst into flames.  

SERVPRO of North Sacramento is the Right Choice

We understand how important it is to deal with damage the right way so that you can get back to living your life.   If you’re the victim of a house fire or commercial fire, your property and your health are at risk. Fires do varying degrees of damage depending on how long, and large, they burn. When you’ve had a house fire, call SERVPRO of North Sacramento and we'll be there to help you pick up the pieces with speed, professionalism, honesty and integrity.

SERVPRO of NOrth Sacramento: 916-587-3438 

Other News

View Recent Posts